Blue Ridge PRISM quarterly meetings are free and open to all. Each meeting features a special interest topic as well as a short update on PRISM activities.
Winter Control Activities – January 28, 2021
This zoom event featured an expert panel discussing invasive plant control in winter.
Forest Health, Spotted Lanternfly, and PRISM update – October 21, 2020
At this online event, an update on the Spotted Lanternfly was given by Mark Sutphin from the Extension Office. Caitlin Dewitt provided an overview of pests and invasives from the Department of Forestry and Rod Walker gave an update on PRISM activities.
Meet Your Helpers – July 15, 2020
At this online event, the following organizations gave a short presentation on the services they offer to landowners in the fight against non-native invasive plants:
- Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Virginia Department of Forestry
- Cooperative Extension
- Piedmont Environmental Council
- Virginia Native Plant Society
- Thomas Jefferson Soil and Water Conservation District
- Solitude Lake Management
Encouraging and Planting Natives Following Invasive Removal – April 22, 2020
Two case studies were presented with the focus on encouraging native plants following removal/control of non-native invasive plants.
- A case study from guest speaker Phil Stokes. Phil is a board member/treasurer and heads the Building and Grounds Committee at Charlottesville’s Ivy Creek Natural Area, serves on the Jefferson Chapter Virginia Native Plant Society Board, and is an active member of the Charlottesville Area Tree Stewards.
- A discussion of how to determine which plants are appropriate to be planted on your site by Jim Hurley from the PRISM Leadership Team. Jim is a Master Naturalist, Tree Steward, a member of the Virginia Noxious Weed Advisory Committee, and a Board member of the Virginia Native Plant Society.
Phil Stokes – Woodland Restoration.
Jim Hurley – Invasives Gone! Really? What should I plant now?
Winter Activities For Invasive Control – January 15, 2020
– William Hamersky – Blue Ridge PRISM Leadership Team & Charlottesville Area Tree Steward
– Jim Hurley – Blue Ridge PRISM Leadership Team & Area Steward
– Nicola McGoff – Director and Aquatic Ecologist – Wild Ginger Field Services
– Brian Morse – Certified Wildlife Biologist – Virginia Forestry & Wildlife Group
– David Powell – Senior Area Forester – VA Department of Forestry
Safe Use of Herbicides – October 16, 2019
The Blue Ridge PRISM hosted a panel of experts to answer all questions relating to the safe use of herbicides.
Biocontrols for Ailanthus (Tree-of-Heaven) – January 16, 2019
The Blue Ridge PRISM hosted Rachel Brooks, Ph.D. candidate at Virginia Tech, who is researching an exciting biocontrol for Ailanthus altissima. Please see below to download the PowerPoint presentation.
Herbicide Panel Discussion – July 18, 2018
The Blue Ridge PRISM hosted an herbicide panel discussion at Ivy Creek Natural Area in Charlottesville. The full audio of the panel can be found below.
PRISM Meeting – April 19, 2018
The question and answer portion of the meeting can be found below.
PRISM Meeting – January 25, 2018
Landowner Panel Discussion – October 18, 2017